The next time you take a walk around your neighborhood or a local trail, gather some natural findings, such as twigs, leaves, bark and rocks. Then, create clay impressions with your findings for one-of-a-kind art. The more interesting and textured your findings, the better! It’s the perfect opportunity for children to get their hands dirty and let imaginations run wild.
- Nature finds
- Air dry clay
- Rolling pin or smooth sided glass
- Paint or markers (optional)
- Gather enough air dry clay for the size of creation you desire to make, then roll flat with a rolling pin or the smooth side of a glass.
- Place one of your nature finds onto the clay and roll over it gently with the rolling pin or glass. Gently lift the nature find off of the clay – you should see texture details imprinted in the clay. If you want to turn your finished creation into a hanging piece of art, now is a great time to punch a hole with a toothpick or chopstick.
- Let your creation dry.
- Once completely dry, you can add color to your impression with paints and markers if desired. Add string if you plant to hang up. All you have left to do is enjoy!
This project works great for making magnets as well. Simply follow the steps above and attach a magnet to the back when completed. You can also shape into a bowl after making your impression and have the perfect spot for future nature findings, coins or small treasures.